Online: Employers can report an injury online quickly and easily at online at my-account.ns.ca
Fax: Fill out the WCB Injury Report Form and fax it to 902-491-8001.
Mail: If you do not have access to a fax machine, please mail or deliver to our Halifax or Sydney offices.
Find information on how to complete the Injury Report starting on page 42 of the Employer Information Guide. If you need help filling out the Injury Report, please contact us at 1-800-870-3331.
While preventing workplace injuries is our goal, when an injury does occur, our goal shifts to assisting workers to achieve safe and timely return to work.
Make it policy for your workers to report all workplace injuries when they occur and before they leave the work site that day. Timely reporting of injuries allows you to effectively investigate the work site where the injury occurred, interview witnesses and collect the information required to understand the cause.
When you become aware that an injury has occurred:
- Contact the worker right away to let them know you are concerned for their health and wellness.
- Provide or seek immediate health care for your worker.
- Reassure them that you will do what you can to help them back to work as soon as possible.
- Report the injury within 5 business days of the injury, regardless if the worker will lose some time from work. You may also be required to report serious injuries to the Occupational Health and Safety Division at Nova Scotia Environment and Labour (see below).
- Assist the worker to achieve safe and timely return to work. See our Return to Work section for more details.
Please Note: It's your duty to report serious injuries.
You must notify the Department of Labour and Advanced Education Occupational Health and Safety division whenever a serious injury
happens at your workplace. Call or send the notice in writing within the following deadlines:
- within 24 hours of a death from any cause
- within 24 hours of an injury that might prove fatal, for example, if someone is in critical condition in hospital
- within 24 hours of an accidental explosion – with or without an injury
- within 7 days if a fire or accident caused a serious injury
How to notify:
Phone: 1-800-952-2687 or 1-800-9LABOUR
Mail: 5151 Terminal Road, P.O.Box 697
Halifax, NS B3J 2T8