Note: This Overview is intended to provide a general guide to Board policies and programs. It does not constitute official Board policy.
Fortunately, few workplace accidents in Nova Scotia result in death. But if a worker should die due to a workplace accident, the WCB can provide the surviving spouse and dependents financial support.
The benefits may include:
- reimbursement for burial expenses and transportation of the body (Policy 6.1.2 & 6.1.3)
- a lump sum 'death benefit' to the dependent spouse (6.1.1 & 6.1.4)
a monthly benefit to the dependent spouse (6.2.1R)
- a monthly benefit to the surviving dependent child(ren) (6.2.3)
- discretionary benefits to 'other dependents' if there is no surviving spouse or children (6.2.4)
- an annuity to the spouse after the monthly benefit ceases (6.2.8R)
The policies regarding this benefit package are contained in this section.